Friday, February 16, 2007

Catholic Church at Sapello, New Mexico


This is the Catholic Church at Sapello, New Mexico. The cemetery is to the left of the church. My Great Grandfather, Juan Cristoval Martin(ez) is buried here as is my Great Grandmother Josefa Rafaela Valdez. They were buried here, but lived, in La Junta de los Rios, now Watrous, New Mexico.
They were both was born In Abiquiu in the province of New Mexico in Nueva Espana, he lived in the same area when it was part of Mexico and died when the area was a United States Territory.
History just over ran them several times. Juan Cristoval was born a Martin and died a Martinez. The history of a family over the generations is very interesting and makes a person wonder what his/her ancestors were like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pic! I've got a great great grandfather and grandmother buried there as well. I actually remember as a child (3 I think), the walk down to the graveyard from the family home to bury my great grandmother. We also still have family property about 3-4 miles up the road from the church. Man I miss that area!