Sunday, June 8, 2008

Margarita Archuleta

Click on the image to make it larger.

This is a picture, from an old tin type, of my maternal grandmother Ignacia's older sister Margarita Archuleta. I do not have any idea as to when it was taken, but my guess is the 1880's or 1890's. I knew this lady, she was born circa 1860 and died circa 1952. She actually stayed at our house for a while late in life. I understand that she was married more than once. By the time I remember her she was a widow. She had no children. My guess is that she is buried in Rowe, New Mexico.

For information on her first marriage to Juan Nicolas Butierrez refer to page 169 of the publication Santa Fe Marriages, St. Francis Cathedral, Jan 1858 to Oct 1889 published by the Hispanic Genealogical Research Center of New Mexico. Witnesses/padrinos were Francisco Garcia and Francisca Butierrez. She is listed as the legitimate daughter of the deceased Juan de Jesus Archuleta and Mariana Duran.

She is inumerated in the 1920 federal census. She lived and died in a very difficult period for New Mexicans. She was born 16 years or so after the American occupation of New Mexico. She lived under the territorial administrations and later witnessed first hand the early statehood period.

No comments: