Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Quarter Moon OJ Branding Iron

Quarter Moon
Forged Handle
Both Pieces Together
The OJ Part By Itself

Click on the images to make them larger

These are the branding irons that belonged to my maternal grandfather Roman Benavidez. Roman was born in El Gusano in 1874 to Juan Andres Benavidez and Maria Espirirona Garcia. I do not know at what time he moved to Rowe, New Mexico but he was married to my grandmother Ignacia Archuleta on October 2, 1895. He was probably there by that time as there are no indications that Ignacia lived anywhere other than Santa Fe, Las Ruedas and Rowe, New Mexico.

I do not know how he came upon the brand (1/4 moon OJ). At least that is what I call it. I am making some assumptions here, one is that the quarter moon fit above the OJ part. I do not know for sure but it seems appropriate. He used these till the early 1950's when he quit having either horses or cows. 

There may be some information on the brand in the historical records of the state dealing with brands. I will have to check and see. You never know when you will find something interesting.


1 comment:

M.J. said...

Did the rancho, where the brands were used, have a name?