Thursday, June 17, 2010

Ines the Tano Woman



And no, this is not her, but the lady is beautiful, very beautiful.. Click on the image to make it larger.

Thanks to Nancy Lopez, the Cybergata. I have used information from her weblog before. If you are into genealogy, hers is a very interesting site.

http://cybergata.com/roots/

And also thanks to Jose Antonio Esquibel who should need no introduction he is one of, if not the best, New Mexico genealogist alive today.

Ines, the Tano woman from New Mexico is my 9th great grandmother!

The following information is from José Antonio Esquibel, Parientes, From La Herencia, Spring 2007, pg. 50, published in Santa Fé, NM by Gran Via, Inc. P.O. box 22576, Santa Fé, NM 87503.

Doña Inés was a Tano Indian. She was likely the same Tano woman taken from New Mexico when the Castaño de Sosa left New Mexico in 1591. She returned with the Oñate expedition in 1598, and acted as a translator for Oñate. In 1626, she was described as "an acculturated Tano Indian woman whom they treat as Spanish woman."

Imagine, just imagine, what this woman whom we know only as Doña Ines (Ynes), must have gone through during her lifetime. Born circa 1560 and taken to Mexico by Castaño de Sosa in 1591. And there is no doubt she was taken, as opposed to have gone willingly. Then to return to her homeland with Juan de Oñate in 1598. I know that when I have left New Mexico for extended periods I always get a lump in my throat when I return.

Hernán Martín Serrano and his wife, Ynés were one of the first families of Santa Fé

3 comments:

cybergata said...

I just ran into your blog while searching for information on my favorite researcher, José Antonio Esquibel. What a wonderful surprise to find my genealogy site mentioned. Thank you, Nancy Lucía López

Unknown said...

Hello my name is Antony McCoy also a descendant of this Dona Ines I am a Martinez on my maternal side just can't connect my Martinez family of Coyote Rio Arriba NM My great great great grandfather was Juan Ignacio Martinez but i hit a brick wall there with no church records for him I hit a brick wall mayb eyou can help me muchas gracias dios te bendgia

New Mexican said...

Anthony -Reference page 56 of the publication New Mexico Genealogist, The Journal of the New Mexico Genealogical Society, Volume 52, Number 2 published in June of 2113. An article there authored by Carmalee Owen documents a lot of this families history. THERE IS A JUAN YGNACIO MARTIN there. also www.hgrcnm-nm.com