Saturday, December 31, 2011

Las Cabanuelas Weather Forcasting in New Mexico, Done the Old Way

The 31 days in January were carefully observed in order to predict the weather for the rest of the year.

To do Las Cabanualas forecast you will need a new 2012 Calender and a pencil to analyze the first 24 days in January. Take the first 12 days in January as representative of each month and record the weather for each day January 1st represents the entire month of January, the 2nd represents February, and so fourth

The process reverses on the 13th of January which represents December, January 14th represents November, the months reversing to day 24. The second analogy double checks the first one. If one day of a forecast month is good and the second bad the month will see sporadic weather changes.

From the twenty-fifth through thirtieth, the day was divided into two parts, with the morning of the twenty-fifth corresponding to January, and the afternoon of that same day corresponding to February, and so on.

On the last day of January, the twenty-four hours corresponded each to a month in the same way that the first twenty-four days of the month did. This 31st day of January is regarded with the utmost reverence, with much superstition and importance vested in it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delighted to hear that, after all, I am not the only one who follows (or tries to) Cabanuelas Weather every year just like my 84-year-old mother taught me when I was little. I've tried to explain it to my children and others but no one seems to understand it and everyone seems to think I am a bit crazy.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you are familiar with something called the canicuelas in the summer...also a weather predicting time. I can't seem to find anything about it but my elderly mom insist there was something about that too.

Anonymous said...

Cabanuelas is 'Dog days" hotes time of the year Junio 21 to the end of Agusto, My Father that was born on 1895 always talked about las cabanuelas and the coldest time of the year the canecula