Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Banana Cream Pie In Rowe, New Mexico in the middle 1950's

My cousin and I were on our way to the river about a mile away from town to fish, or swim, or both when we heard someone behind us..... We went into the forest and hid while they went by. The property was private, belonging to the actress Greer Garson and her millionaire husband "Buddy" Fogelson.  It was part of the old Los Trigos Land Grant which was lately owned by Jane Fonda. Anyway, we did not want to get caught fishing or swimming there but the odds of that happening were slim to none as we were experts at hiding in the adjacent woods.

Anyway, it was an "anglo" couple with some small kids who were behind us. I do not know if they were sneaking in too or if they had permission to be or go there. It did not matter, we let them pass and then followed them out of curiosity. Just to see what they were up to. They got to an area and "set up" the spot. Picnic basket and a tablecloth to cover the ground before they all went down about 100 yards to the river.

Opportunity was knocking and we decided my cousin would be the lookout while I went down to see what they had set out. Just looking really, at least I recall that was what I was thinking at the time. Anyway, I opened the basket and lo and behold a funny looking pie was there. Never seen a pie with all white on the top before. I dipped my finger to taste it and the taste was out of this world. I took the pie and some plastic spoons and high tailed it to where my cousin was waiting.

My first taste of banana cream pie.... God sent it to us, I just knew it. My forced church attendance was paying off right then. It was the best thing, outside of panocha for la semana santa, that I had ever tasted. We took off to the ole swimming hole to swim without waiting to see what the white folks did when they found the pie missing. I still don't know if they figured it out or if the ole man blamed the woman for forgetting the pie.

We did not know what type of pie it was, just that it was good. The next time I tasted banana cream pie again was in Nebraska one summer while traveling through many years later. Now when I have a piece, I remember back...

No comments: