Friday, November 6, 2009

La Cultura de Nuevo Mejicanos

La Cultura (culture) is a many faceted moving target. For Nuevo Mejicanos it is part food, part language, part religion, part music, part art, part customs (custumbres) that we share with the generations before us. All of these change from one generation to another. How many times have I said to myself that if my grandmother, who died in 1971, were to suddenly come alive today in the same house she lived when she died she would not recognize the house. And when she walked outside she would recognize the Mesa, but little else.

We share very little with our ancestors who came north from Mexico with don Juan de Onate in 1598. We share very little with our ancestors who left during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. We also share little with our ancestors who came in the reconquest with don Diego de Vargas.

What do we share with our ancestors who were here when the Americans came? I do not think we share much. Genes, but other than that, not much.

I think this is true of everyone, not just Hispano New Mexicans. 

What are burrinates, do you know? It was a common food of our ancestors.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what burrinates are, sort of - they are sheep or goat innards chopped and stuffed into sheep or goat intestines and then either grilled or roasted in an horno.

But I don't have any recipes. I suspect this delicacy was rural enough that it didn't find its way into cookbooks.