Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Invisible New Mexicans

When the Americans arrived in force in New Mexico, after the United States occupation of the province in 1846, a curious thing happened. New Mexicans and Indians already here became invisible. The phenomena was described by George I. Sanchez in his book "Forgetton People". 

I just finished reading a series of books on New Mexico and New Mexicans written by folks from the United States that arrived here between 1846 and 1880. There is mention of every Tom, Dick and Harriet that made the trip from the east. Uncle this and aunt that. This merchant or that soldier. And they are named down to their middle initial. They were all heroic pioneers according to the people writing the books. You would not believe the hardships they went through once they got here.

And what about the New Mexicans that were all ready here, the Indians and the Hispanos. They were just Indians and Mexicans. No first names, no last names just Indians and Mexicans. And no mention of the fact that they had survived here for centuries if not eons.

You would swear that New Mexico was empty of people with names. The folks were identified only by their race. Mexicans or Indians. 

Watch out for these type of historians. 

1 comment:

Boondock_Saint9000 said...

I googled Las Ruedas and found your blog. I am the great great granddaughter of Samuel Dean Jr. I forwarded my dad (Dean) and cousin (Encinas) the link to your blog. Your blog is SOO interesting!! I love all of the pictures and census documents. I hope to chat with you very soon!