Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mariana Duran in the 1880 Federal Census

Click on the image to make it larger.

The top page is of the 1880 U.S. Federal Census for New Mexico, Santa Fe County at Santa Fe. Look at lines 31 - 36 and you will see Mariana Duran listed as Mariana Archuleta age 46 keeping house and listed as a widow. Also listed is Jose E. age 24, her son who was a musician, her daughter Margarita at age 19 and working as a domestic servant, her daughter Ignacia age 4 and her son Mauricio age 12 working as a herder as well as her son Pablo age 9.

I know this is my Great Grandmother because she is listed with her sons and daughters by her first husband Juan de Jesus Archuleta.

Click on the image to make it larger.

This page is of the 1880 U.S. Federal Census for New Mexico, Santa Fe County at Placer de Dolores which was, as I understand, in the Ortiz Mountians over by Cerrillos. Here on lines 40, 41 and 42 it lists Mariana Duran as Mariana Martin age 43 keeping house and married with her 2nd husband Miguel Martin age 40 a shoemaker and Lorensa Tafolla age 6 listed as the grandaughter. 

I know this is the same woman, she was one of my Great Grand Mothers. I know that her second husband was named Miguel Martin and he was a shoemaker. Not too many shoemakers by the name of Miguel Martin married to a woman by the name of Mariana in Santa Fe at that time.

I find the fact that she is listed twice funny and odd. My Great Grand Father on my fathers side was listed twice in the 1880 Census too. Does not look like the census takers in 1880 were being very careful. Not that I mind as it gives me more information. In Mariana Duran's case it shows she was maintaining two households, one with here husband and his grand daughter at Placer de Dolores and one with her family from her first husband in Santa Fe.

No comments: